Ten things I wish I knew about Art Making as a beginning Artist

I have not always considered myself an artist, quite the opposite in fact.  As a teacher most of us are asked to teach our students art but most of us don't feel confident in our own art skills.  

Here is what I learned from my own journey with art that I wish someone had explained to me earlier:

1) Go in with a sense of wonder: 

Be curious: Approach making art like an adventure. Have fun exploring new ideas and trying new things. Ask yourself often... 'I wonder what will happen if I.....'

2) 'Bad' art is still art: 

A 'bad' painting by famous artist Edvard Munch
Remember that art is subjective. Don't be discouraged by what you perceive as "bad" art. Every piece you create is a valuable expression of your unique perspective and experiences. 

3) Art doesn't have to be beautiful: 

Challenge the notion that art must be aesthetically pleasing. Embrace the beauty in imperfection and the raw authenticity of your creations.



Imperfect feet in a very famous painting. Can you recognize which one?
.

4) Let go of perfectionism: 

Your first 50 flowers will probably not look a lot like a flower and it is okay. You might never draw 'perfect' flowers. Allow your art to evolve naturally, embracing the beauty of its imperfections and the growth that comes from experimentation. 




5) It takes practice and experimentation to find your style: 

Finding your artistic voice takes time and experimentation. Don't be afraid to explore different mediums, styles, and techniques until you discover what you love. An art journal is a great place to experiment.


6) Don't throw it away, walk away and come back: 

Often when I am painting I start hating my work. I have learned to walk away from what I am doing for a while and come back to it. You may get the urge to just get ride of those pieces.  Instead, take a step back and give yourself time to gain fresh perspective. Often, stepping away and returning with a clear mind have led me to some of my favorite pieces and those flaws that were so glaring before become less important when you look at the whole piece.


7) Get inspiration from others but don't compare yourself to them: 

Having mentors and being inspired by other artists is great. When you look at other people's art, it can give you ideas about what styles you enjoy and what techniques you want to experiment with. It can help us figuring out what kind of art you want to make. But here's the thing: it's important not to compare yourself to other artists. Your art is your own, and it's going to be different from anyone else's. Just like you wouldn't expect your students to copy your work exactly, you shouldn't expect that of yourself either. Remember, you're unique, and your art will reflect that uniqueness.


Some flowers, I am learning all the time.
8) If at first you don't succeed: 

Remember that setbacks and failures are all part of the creative process. Embrace them as opportunities for growth and learning, rather than reasons to give up. You've got this.





9) It is supposed to be fun: 

Letting go of expectations and letting whatever happens, happen can be one of the most wonderful feelings. This is not about the final product - although sometimes those are pretty awesome too - it is about the process. Enjoy the colors, textures and lines, embrase the mess and most importantly have fun!


10) You already are an ARTIST

I know you don't believe me but hear me out. You don't have to wait for someone else to tell you that you're an artist. You don't have to wait to be good before you can call yourself an artist. If you have the desire to create and the willingness to see where the art making journey will take you - then you are already part of the club. Welcome you wonderful artist you! I can't wait to see what you create!

Comments